NYSAIS Early Years and Incorporation

On April 17, 1947, Paul D. Shafer, President of the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn sent out a letter to ten of his colleagues at other New York independent schools to discuss the founding of an association for New York independent schools. Those who received the letter from Paul D. Shafer included, Mrs. Harold S. Osborne (The Spence School in NYC), Miss Anne Wellington (Emma Willard School in Troy), Mr. Philip M. B. Boocock (The Nichols School in Buffalo), Mr. Charles W. Bradlee (Pebble Hill School in DeWitt), Dr. Howard I. Dillingham (Manlius School in Manlius), Mr. Morton Snyder (Rye Country Day School in Rye), Dr. Frank Hackett (Riverdale Country School in Riverdale-on-Hudson), Mr. Wilson Parkhill (Collegiate School in NYC), Mr. Harold C. Amos (Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn), and Dr. Joseph Allen (Poly Prep Country Day School in Brooklyn). The New York State Association of Independent Schools held its first official meeting on October 8, 1947 at the Albany Academies. At the meeting on October 8, 1947, it was moved by Mr. Bradlee and seconded by Mr. Amos that they "set up the nucleus of a State organization (and) that the name be the New York State Association of Independent Schools (whose) membership...shall be limited to those elementary and secondary schools organized under a State charter as non-profit institutions." (Peters, 2014, pgs. 18-20)

According to the book Independent by Design (Peters, 2014), the first Annual Meeting of NYSAIS was held on January 18, 1949 at the Emma Willard School in Troy. The first officers were Paul Shafer (President), Anne Wellington (Vice-President), and Harry E. P. Meislahn (Secretary-Treasurer). The first guest at a NYSAIS meeting was Dr. Henry V. Gilson, New York's Associate Commissioner of Education. (Peters, 2014, pg. 23)

On October 25, 1968, NYSAIS was incorporated under a Provisional Charter granted by the New York State Board of Regents. The Provisional Charter required that NYSAIS draft a constitution and that a Board of Trustees be established. This was accomplished at the 20th Annual Meeting which was held on November 12, 1968 at Schrafft's Motor Inn in Albany. At this meeting, President Walter Clark announced the appointment of the first Executive Director, Appleton A. Mason, Jr. who had previously served as the Headmaster of the Lake Forest Country Day School in Lake Forest, Illinois. The first official office for NYSAIS was at Appleton Mason's home in Loudonville, New York. (Peters, 2014, pg. 60)

NYSAIS Events Registration
© 2013 NYSAIS

site map   |   privacy policy
contact us
17 Elk Street (First Floor)
Albany, NY 12207
Tel: 518-694-5500
Fax: 518-694-5501

© 2013 New York State Association of Independent Schools

  |   
site map   |   privacy policy   |   contact us
17 Elk Street (First Floor)     Albany, NY 12207     Tel: 518-694-5500     Fax: 518-694-5501

powered by finalsite