NYSAIS Schools - Job Openings
Please be sure to visit the resources listed to the left of this window.
For instructions on posting jobs, click here.
Use the filters below to find the right job for you.
High School Learning Specialist
|School Name||Little Red School House and Elisabeth Irwin High School|
|City, State||New York, NY|
LREI seeks a learning specialist to work collaboratively with teachers, advisors, the school psychologist, outside support personnel, families and the Academic Dean to ensure the success of all learners in the high school. Through individualized learning support in the Learning Center, implementation of strategies within students’ classrooms, and coordination with outside support services, the learning specialist works to help all those connected to a student to understand his/her learning profile and to have the tools and information they need to scaffold the student to mastery.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of work in a school setting.
• Based in the Learning Center @ LREI, the learning specialist provides academic support to students, 9th-12th grade, in a range of content areas. Preferably, the learning specialist will have experience in the analytical essay writing structure, and a strong background in supporting reading comprehension. In addition, a content knowledge of 9th grade Geometry/Algebra concepts is ideal.
• Training in providing practical, on-the-ground strategies for students in the areas of planning, organization, note taking, and communication with teachers.
• Reading neuropsych evaluations and writing synthesized learning profiles with recommendations for teachers.
• Working with teachers to help them understand the students in their classrooms, and developing teaching strategies to meet the needs of students.
• Meeting with parents to understand students’ challenges from the home perspective, communicating a clear picture of a student’s approach to work, and helping organize any outside interventions that are necessary.
• Teaching and supporting students with identified learning differences during Language Exempt class periods
• Meeting regularly with the school psychologist and Academic Dean to review student needs and progress.
• Meeting with the wellness team in school, and outside professionals and agencies (e.g. tutors, The NYC Bd. Of Ed., outside evaluators) as needed.
• Remaining current with instructional theory, practice and research that is in line with our progressive pedagogy. Engaging in regular and strategic professional development.
• Attending weekly faculty meetings
• Serving as an advisor to 10-12 HS Students, conducting weekly meetings and leading family conferences.
• Being an active member of the LREI community
To apply, candidates should email a statement of interest and resume to the High School Principal, Micah Dov Gottlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Learning Specialist in the subject line.