Conferences & Workshops
How to Run a Dynamic Advisory Program
211 West 61st Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10023 map
Speaker: Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A.
Advisory programs have an established presence in many independent schools. However, do the programs rise to the desired level of the school? Consider these questions:
- Does your advisory advance the mission of your school?
- Are students engaged in a purposeful way?
- Do advisory experiences have application within academics and other areas of school life?
- Is advisory time seen as expendable – a “go to” time for assemblies or other meetings?
- Will advisory serve the school well, in that the time invested manifests significant benefits for all involved?
These questions illuminate the planning and shaping of a meaningful advisory program.
Spend a day with like-minded educators to explore how to build or strengthen an advisory for your school that has value, purpose, and direction. Together we explore how to frame a well-designed program. Our topics include:
- Clarifying the purpose
- Defining roles and responsibilities
- Scaffolding the sequence
- Shaping the content to include knowledge, skills, and dispositions
- Experiencing several dynamics that model the design for an effective middle school and high school advisory concept
Rather than being a mystifying and daunting challenge, let’s think about advisory as a sacred time that assists students as they move through adolescence and school. Together we will engage in discussions and experiences to benefit the development of our students. Join us!
This seminar is based on recent work by Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A., (CBK Associates) and Barbara Cervone, Ed.D. (What Kids Can Do) and the development of Advisory: A Dynamic Approach being implemented at the International School of Kuala Lumpur, grades 9-12. Cathryn also has a version for middle school.
Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A., of CBK Associates, presents globally on a variety of themes and topics. While she may be best known for her work in service learning, Cathryn has been designing advisory style programs for over 12 years, always customizing them to meet the needs of particular schools. Currently, she has two programs – a middle school program “Dynamics for Success: Opportunities to Learn, a Reason to Serve” and “Advisory: A Dynamic Approach” for high school. She has other versions that have been adopted by individual schools and also school districts. For those of you who know Cathryn, these programs and this weekend includes a high level of participation employing diverse approaches to teaching and learning. For questions about the program and the weekend, email Cathryn at email@example.com
Fee includes Continental breakfast, lunch and all materials.
Substantial discounts are available for groups registering together.
- 5-9 attendees @ $170.
- 10-20 attendees @ $145.
Regular Registration Fees apply within 2 weeks of the event
• NYSAIS members - $210.00
• Non-members - $245.00
Early Discount of $20.00 will apply until 2 weeks before the event.
Late Fee of $10.00 will apply within 2 days of the event.
* Note: Payment is by credit card only.