Getting Involved @NYSAIS - Professional Learning
NYSAIS would not be able to achieve a high level of excellence in our programs and services without the generous support from talented volunteers within our community. If you are interested in getting more deeply involved in helping to support independent school Professional Learning in New York State, please consider one of the following volunteer opportunities.
NYSAIS expects volunteers, presenters, speakers, and facilitators to uphold NYSAIS' standards of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, and we have Presenter/Speaker Guidelines to that end. The goal of these guidelines is to achieve inclusion and equity in NYSAIS Professional Learning activities.
Join the Staff of One of Our Institutes
NYSAIS utilizes the wealth of experience of our member schools’ respective faculties to staff our various institutes. Educators are motivated to serve through their interest and expertise in the topics of the institutes that we offer.
Participation on the staff of a NYSAIS institute includes occasional meetings for planning prior to the institute, as well as full participation and leadership during the institute. These responsibilities may vary, depending upon the nature and duration of the institute. Those who would like more information and/or are interested in serving on the staff of one of our institutes should contact Marcy Mann, Associate Director for Professional Learning, email@example.com.
Current Institutes include:
- Beginning Teachers Institute
- Experienced Teachers Institute
- Justice, Equity, and Diversity Institute
- Emerging Leaders Institute
- Divisional Leaders Institute
Serve on a Conference Planning Committee
In order to create the array of professional learning opportunities for those who work in NYSAIS schools, most residential conferences are collaboratively planned by a committee of experienced peers. These committees vary in size and activity, but each has a similar purpose: to provide strategic planning support and to ensure focus and direction of the conference or other events, keeping in mind NYSAIS Principles of Best Practice: Equity and Justice. For more information and to volunteer, click here.
Submit a Workshop Proposal
NYSAIS workshops are led by experts in the field. Some of those experts teach in our own schools, and NYSAIS welcomes workshop proposals by teachers and administrators. To submit a workshop proposal, click here.
Submit a Proposal for a Conference Session
NYSAIS sponsors many residential conferences and symposia which include peer-led sessions. Please visit the relevant conference website to find the link to submit a proposal. The following conferences (listed chronologically) typically welcome submissions. Watch for email invitations to submit a session proposal.
- Assistant Heads / Division Heads & After School Directors Conference (November)
- Department Chairs Conference (January)
- Brain Conference (February)
- Student Support Conference (February)
- Educating Girls Symposium (odd years)
- Educating Boys Symposium (even years)
- Institutional Advancement Conference (March)
- Global Language and Culture Conference (April)
- NYSAIS Diversity Symposium (April)
- Teaching with Technology (April)
- Admissions and Placement Conference (April)
- Business Affairs Conference (May)
- College Counselors Conference (May)
- The Office Conference (June)