Getting Involved @ NYSAIS - Residential Conference Planning Committees
In order to create the array of professional learning opportunities for those who work in NYSAIS schools, each residential conference is collaboratively planned by a committee of experienced peers. These committees vary in size and activity, but each has a similar purpose.
The purpose of each committee is to provide strategic planning support and to ensure focus and direction of the conference or other events and special projects, keeping in mind NYSAIS Principles of Best Practice: Equity and Justice.
Every effort is made to ensure a balance on each committee in terms of gender, gender diversity, types of schools, as well as geographic distribution throughout the state.
Here is an example of a committee charter / guidelines:
Terms: Members serve on the committee for a term of three (3) years. Members may serve an additional term but must rotate off after the second term.
Meetings: Committees meet as necessary in person and/or on video conference at the call of the Chairs of the Committee or the Associate Director, and maintain notes of all meetings, which are posted on a shared google document. Sub-committees meet as needed. Each committee has a charter to guide its smooth and transparent operation.
If you are interested in serving on any of the following committees, please apply using this form. Not all committees have openings at this time, but we keep a list of interested educators for future openings.
NYSAIS Residential Conference Planning Committees
- Annual Conference for Heads of School - open to current Heads of School (November)
- Assistant Heads / Division Heads & After School Directors Conference (November)
- NYSAIS Education Information Technology Conference (NEIT) (January)
- Department Chairs Conference (January)
- Brain Conference (February)
- Student Support Conference (February)
- Institutional Advancement Conference (March)
- Global Language and Culture Conference (April)
- Admissions and Placement Conference (April)
- Athletic Directors Conference (April)
- Business Affairs Conference (May)
- NYSAIS Diversity Committee (April, May)
- College Counselors Conference (May)
- The Office Conference (June)
- Early Childhood and Lower School Directors Conference (June)
- Organized after-hours events (before breakfast / after dinner) must be on the schedule and include a Presider from the Planning Committee to work with NYSAIS staff and hotel staff.
- Presider’s name will be added to the schedule and they will attend the event.
- The Carriage Lounge will serve as the cash bar for all after-dinner events at Mohonk. Outside alcohol is not permitted.
- Conference committees should utilize the resources provided by the hotel for recreational, after-hours events rather than engage outside vendors or entertainment.
For more information, contact Barbara Swanson, Associate Director for Residential Professional Learning